Dependent Care Flexible Spending (DCFSA)

Blue Family.png


Used to pay day care expenses associated with caring for elder or child dependents that are necessary for you or your spouse to work or attend school full-time. You cannot use your Health Care FSA to pay for Dependent Care expenses.

HRC - Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Information


How does a Dependent Care Account Work?

A DCA is a pre-tax savings account which the IRS allows you to put funds into. You can then use these funds for qualified dependent care expenses, such as preschool, summer day camp, before or after school programs, and child or adult daycare. You may choose to enroll in the DCA through your employer, which is administered by HRCTS. Complete the election form indicating how much you would like to withhold from your payroll on a pre-tax basis. It is a smart, simple way to save money while taking care of your loved ones so you can continue to work.



* You must follow the guidelines set below in order for your dependent care expense to be eligible for reimbursement.

  1. Dependent care expenses cover qualified dependent children 12 or younger, or a
    spouse/tax dependent who is mentally or physically incapable of caring for themselves.
  2. Dependent care expenses incurred must allow a single parent or both married parents to be gainfully employed or attend school full time during the time the child is being taken care of.
  3. Your dependent must live in your home for at least 8 hours each day.
  4. Any day care center or program must meet the state and local requirements in order to be eligible.
  5. A babysitter can watch the dependent inside or outside the home, as long as the sitter is at least 19 years of age and is not your spouse or someone you claim on your tax return as a dependent.