CITY OF LYNN, MASSACHUSETTS
City of Lynn - Personnel Department
Translate | Select A Language-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 18, 2022
Friday, July 29, 2022
Assistant City Clerk (Administrative Assistant Classification)
City Clerk and Chief of Elections
City Hall Hours
Yes, AFSCME Local 3147
$73,085.91-$91,357.39 (Salary determined by educational attainment per collective bargaining agreement)
The City of Lynn seeks an efficient, detail oriented, versatile, multitasking professional to serve as Assistant City Clerk. The Assistant City Clerk will report directly to the City Clerk and Chief of Elections and oversee staff and operations related to the maintenance of the City’s vital records, licenses, and permits under the Clerk’s jurisdiction.
High School Diploma/Equivalency required, college degree preferred. The ideal candidate is an independent problem solver who can manage multiple demands and prioritize the needs of the office and staff. Seeking a leader with flexibility, empathy and a strong work ethic.
Duties and Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To:
- Assists City Clerk and Chief of Elections by performing and coordinating administrative support services. Acts as a principal assistant on all administrative matters.
- Maintains liaison with other organizational units providing support services such as data processing, accounting, purchasing, and personnel.
- Performs difficult and confidential typing, word processing and administrative duties. Handles highly confidential assignments for the City Clerk and Chief of Elections.
- Coordinates fiscal procedures within the departmental unit including: budget implementation and control, confirming that the expenditures are in accord with allocation of funds. Collects data and assists in preparation of administrative aspect of the annual budget.
- Assists in planning and implementing administrative improvements including organizational changes and work systems. Plans, schedules, and/or attends meetings and conferences, and prepares reports when necessary.
- Keep informed of new and revised policy statements, regulations, directives, and other communications issued by the Personnel Department. Participates in the hiring and orientation process for new employees.
- Keep record for the preparation of administrative reports regarding time and attendance, leaves, termination, new employees, transfers for fiscal expenditures, and statistical records.
- Supervise office operations, daily routine, and work flow for approximately eight employees. Must be able to use sound judgement, discretion, tact, and confidentiality with employee issues.
- Coordinates departmental services such as maintenance, repairs, supply procurement, and postal and electronic mail processing.
- Signs reports, letters, files, and records. Operates and oversee maintenance of office technology and equipment.
- Conducts business with the public, employees, and other departments. Answers questions with good judgment and knowledge. Provides information on policies, procedures, services, and ordinances along with application requirements.
- Prepares council orders for signature by the Mayor, and processes them for distribution.
- Prepares advertisements for special permits and notifies abutters of hearings and outcomes, forwards them to appropriate departments.
- Prepares and processes advertisements for ordinances.
- Researches Council records as needed.
- Processes various licenses.
- Process and review Criminal History Background Checks (CORI).
- Prepares index for council records and prepares agenda for Council meetings.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of principles and practices of office management, work scheduling, automation, and workflow analysis. Must be able to prepare special reports and summaries. Must possess effective customer service skills and practices. Must be able to perform any and all related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Knowledge of local ordinances, applicable state laws, and permitting processes.
- Ability to become knowledgeable with local ordinances, permits and Mass General Laws as they pertain to this office.
- Ability to report and present to the Lynn City Council and other City, local, or community agencies if necessary.
- Ability to deal with the public in a responsible manner and behave ethically.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other related computer software with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with digital communications including web and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) a plus.
- Highly detail oriented.
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Experience de-escalating difficult situations and interfacing with the general public recommended.
- Conflict resolution and customer service training preferred.
- Bilingual/bicultural candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
*City residency required within six months of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Regularly required to walk, stand sit, talk and hear, operate objects, tools or controls, lift and carry paper files, Vital statistic books, Ballot boxes and other common office objects (up to 30 lbs). Ability to view computer screens and work with details for extended periods of time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How To Apply
A completed application, including cover letter, can be submitted via regular post, e-mail (email@example.com), via the Lynn City Hall dropbox at the Johnson Street entrance, or in person at Room 307 in Lynn City Hall.
If submitting via e-mail, please include “Assistant City Clerk” in the subject line. Applications must be submitted by Friday, July 29th or you will not be considered. Please note that if you have applied for this position within the last six months you can reactivate the application currently on file by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Assistant City Clerk"
Friday, July 29, 2022
* The Lynn City Council has approved a home rule petition to the Massachusetts Legislature that would amend the Lynn City Charter to remove this residency requirement but affirm preference in hiring for Lynn residents.