Support Guide for Housing Displacement

This page lists resources for you in the event you are displaced because your home was condemned or there was a fire or other natural disaster.


Landlord's Responsibility By Law

Housing Code (105 CMR 410.000)

(E) When a residence or portion thereof has been condemned and placarded as unfit for human habitation and the occupant of a condemned dwelling unit or rooming unit is not the owner of the residence, the owner shall provide comparable, suitable housing for the occupant for the following time period, or whichever is shortest:
(1) The remaining term of the lease or rental period; 
(2) Such time as the residence is deemed suitable for habitation by the board of health;
(3) Such time as the occupant finds alternative, permanent housing and voluntarily terminates tenancy.

Full Housing Code

Legal Support

Northeast Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low income and elder residents of Essex and Northern Middlesex Counties, Massachusetts.

181 Union St
Lynn, MA 01901


Lynn Housing Authority & Neighborhood Development

117 Franklin St
Lynn, MA 01902

Department of Transitional Assistance

45 Congress St #4120
Salem, MA 01970

Housing & Community Development

4100 Cambridge St #300
Boston, MA 02114

Citizens Inn Between

81 Main Street
Peabody, MA 01960

Lynn Shelter Association
91 Liberty Street
Lynn, MA 01901
Adult Emergency Shelter: 781.581.6600

Catholic Charities
117 North Common St
Lynn, MA 01902

156 Broad St
Lynn, MA 01901

16 City Hall Square
Lynn, MA 01901