Rules and Regulations | Effective October 2015
Office Location: 250 Commercial Street, Lynn, MA
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 8:30 AM until 4 PM
Friday - 8:30 AM until 12:30 PM
FUNERALS AND INTERMENTS
1. All orders for funerals and interments must be received by the Cemetery at least twenty-four hours prior to burial and include the proper Pine Grove Cemetery work order form. Funeral Directors must have all orders for interments signed by the owner of the lot, or some responsible person, and accompanied by the necessary burial permit or cremation certificate. Once a funeral director, or authorized agent, has placed an order for an interment, he or she is responsible for payment to the cemetery.
2. No burials are allowed on Sundays, and all legal Federal or State Holidays.
3. A concrete liner, burial box, concrete vault or non-corroding cremation container is compulsory with all interments.
4. The cemetery reserves the right to designate the manner in which interments and disinterment’s will or will not be permitted.
5. Interment prices may be obtained at the DPW Office, 250 Commercial Street, Lynn, MA 01905
1. All monuments, headstones, markers, or the like must have a foundation built by the Cemetery.
2. All orders for foundations must be submitted to the DPW Office, 250 Commercial Street, Lynn, MA 01905. A check to cover the cost of the foundation must accompany the order and no foundation will be poured until paid for. Inclement weather may affect the schedule for the pouring of foundations. The cost of foundations may be obtained at DPW Office.
3. Charge for setting marker. $50
4. Charge for setting veterans stone in Veterans Lot. $25
1. Perpetual Care covers the maintenance of the surface of the lots and graves, mowing the grass, loaming and fertilizing when necessary but does not include care of any kind of monuments, headstones, markers, or the like, or to bushes, shrubs, or plants.
2. Users of lots obtained by inheritance of transfer without adequate Perpetual Care Funds will be asked to pay at the time of interment.
1. Flush markers requested by the owner of a six-grave lot or more or by the Cemetery Commission, must be consistent with the size of the lot and not protrude above ground
2. Flush veteran’s markers will be allowed on all private lots. However, only one (l) flush marker (flat or veterans marker) will be allowed on a single grave.
1. Unloading and setting of monuments, headstones, markers, or the like will be allowed on weekdays only 7 AM until 3 PM, no weekends or holidays, or after 3 PM of any day. No monuments or headstones may be left on a lot awaiting foundations without permission of the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, or its designee.
All monuments, headstones, markers, or the like MUST have a foundation constructed by the cemetery.
3. All orders for monuments, headstones, markers, or the like MUST be requested on the proper Pine Grove Cemetery work order form and contain the following information.
- Lot, section, and grave numbers
- Drawing and design.
The Pine Grove Cemetery Commission or its designee must approve all monument orders. Orders without the above information will be returned to the Monument Company.
4. The cemetery office must approve all inscription work on monuments. Inscriptions will not be allowed on weekends, holidays, or after 3 PM of any day. A $10 check must accompany the inscription permit
5. All upright monuments must have the lot # inscribed on the front right base of the stone.
SIZES OF MONUMENTS
1. May be obtained at the DPW Office, 250 Commercial Street, Lynn, MA 01905
1. All decorations will be removed weekly
2. No decorations of any kind are allowed to be attached, glued or inserted on Columbarium surface
3. All inscriptions are to be approved and made by Pine Grove Cemetery or its designee
4. No planting is allowed
5. Urn size requirements can be obtained at DPW Office.
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS
1. A grave or a lot in a cemetery under the jurisdiction of the Cemetery Commission of the City of Lynn may be purchased by a resident or non-resident. All graves and lots must be paid for at the time of purchase.
Indigent burials will be restricted to City of Lynn residents only or have a last official address in Lynn.
Orders for any work to be done in the Cemetery must be left at the DPW Office, 250 Commercial St., Lynn, MA 01905 where all information in regard to this work may be obtained.
4. The Pine Grove Cemetery Commission must approve the transfer of ownership of any grave or lot.
5. No lots or graves may be sold by the owner or his heirs to any other person. Said lots or graves, if located in a desirable area and can be used for a future sale, must be returned to the Cemetery and the original purchase price will be returned upon receipt of said graves or lots.
The placing of fences, mounds over graves or stone enclosures about the lots or graves is strictly prohibited.
The employees will take reasonable care when maintaining the Cemetery but neither the City of Lynn, the PineGrove Cemetery Commission, the Superintendent, any employee attached to the Cemetery Department or its contractors will be responsible for any damage to plants, shrubs, or monuments.
The Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, or its designee, shall have the authority to remove any trees or shrubs situated upon the lots or graves which by means of their roots, branches or otherwise, become detrimental to the adjacent lots, avenues, or paths, or dangerous or inconvenient to passengers.
On or after the lst of March of each year, the Superintendent will remove from the lots and graves all wreaths, baskets, potted plants, blankets, plastic decorations and all other grave decorations that will interfere with the spring clean-up and maintenance of the cemetery. The replacing of any of these items on the graves will be prohibited from March lst until April 15th of each year. On or after the 15th day of October of each year, the same procedure will be followed with the removal of all planted beds, baskets, vases, plastic flowers, or any grave decorations that will interfere with the fall clean-up and maintenance of the grounds. The replacing of any of these items on the graves will be prohibited from October 15th until November 1st of each year.
The Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, or its designee, shall have the authority to restrict the use of all vehicles including both motorized and non-motorized upon cemetery grounds.
Per City of Lynn ordinance, No Dogs Allowed.
No person shall use the cemetery or burial grounds as a thoroughfare to get from one part of the City to another. Roads within the cemetery shall be limited to grave access or the conduct of other cemetery related business.
Persons visiting the cemetery shall walk or pass upon the grounds in a decent and respectful manner. Any proprietor of a lot may enter upon the same.
No person shall gather any flowers, either wild or cultivated, within the cemetery or burial grounds, nor remove, cut, break, or mark any trees or shrubs, nor shall they cut down or destroy any tree within any lot or border, nor shall they cut flowerbeds, plant trees or shrubs, or otherwise disturb the grounds without permission from the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, or its designee.
No person shall climb on or over, write or mark upon, deface or injure any monument, gravestone, fence, or other structure, in or belonging to the said cemeteries. Massachusetts General Laws concerning cemetery vandalism impose fines up to $3,000, or imprisonment up to two and one-half years, or both, for willful acts of vandalism within cemeteries.
The discharge of any firearms in the aforesaid cemeteries and burial grounds are prohibited, except at military funerals, unless by direction of the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, or its designee thereof, nor shall any attempt be made to destroy, injure or annoy the birds, squirrels, or other animals found thereon.
The use of urns, vigil lights, or vases is permitted but only at the owner’s risk. No Solar lights allowed.
No remains other than that of a human shall be buried in any cemetery under the jurisdiction of the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission.
19. The City of Lynn, the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, nor its employees will be responsible for acts of God or vandalism within the cemetery and will not be responsible for containers, flowers, decorations, or the like, placed on graves.
20. All flowerbeds planted by anyone other than cemetery personnel must be flush to the headstone, not to exceed the base of the headstone, and protrude only one (1) foot outward. No ROSE BUSHES or any plant with thorns allowed. No Flowerbeds in all sections of the cemetery containing FLUSH MARKERS. Flowerbeds are also excluded from all Veteran lots. One pot or planter is allowed in Flush marker sections and the Veteran lots.
21. No person shall sell, keep or offer or expose for sale, any goods, wares, merchandise, newspapers or magazines or solicit or collect subscriptions or contributions, unless permission thereof is given by the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission, or its designee.
22. No person or persons shall play at baseball, football, tennis, golf, or any other game or sport within the cemetery.
23. No person shall play or use, walk upon or so conduct himself or herself upon any cemetery land in such a manner as to annoy, disturb or otherwise interfere with another person or persons lawfully using the cemetery land, to violate posted rules, nor be or remain upon any part of cemetery land, after having been requested to leave by the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission or member thereof, Police Officers of the City of Lynn, or other employees of the cemetery department.
24. No person shall trespass on any cemetery land, nor interfere with the proper use thereof by persons using the same under permit from the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission. No person shall obstruct, hinder, or impede the movement of work of employees of the cemetery department or vehicles of said department.
25. No person shall drive an automobile within the confines of cemetery land at a rate of speed greater than fifteen (15) miles per hour. No person shall drive an automobile on cemetery land that has not been licensed to operate motor vehicles and no dealers or other persons shall demonstrate automobiles or instruct any person in the driving thereof in the cemetery, or other land under the control of the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission.
26. No person shall carry on his person, sell, give away, or consume any alcoholic liquor, beer, ale, wine, or other beverage containing or having any alcoholic content while within the confines of all cemetery land under the control of the Pine Grove Cemetery Commission.
27. The Main Gate at Pine Grove Cemetery Closes at Dusk contact DPW Office for other gate hours.
Per Order: Pine Grove Cemetery Commission